Saturday, July 20, 2013

She's Mastered the Straw!

Drinking from a straw takes some skill, one that Keira took quite a while to master. Whenever I had a drink with a straw, she would insist, "I too, I too!", yet inevitably would chomp, chew, or pull at the straw rather than suck up any liquid. It didn't matter what I tried, she simply couldn't get the hang of it.

My mother ended up getting her a straw sippy cup. Keira was able to figure it out but could (or would) not transfer her new found straw knowledge to a regular cup and straw. When the cup was left at my SIL's house one day, I ended up buying Keira some other straw cups to have on hand and to replace her sippy cups. She has been using them daily for her water. 

Today was the day the penny finally dropped! I'm not sure why or how, it just did! She asked for a sip of my booster juice (which I was planning on sharing with her anyway), and rather than pouring it into her cup, I decided to hand her mine and see what she'd do. Any guesses? She stuck the straw in her mouth and proceeded to take a drink, then asked for "more please!" What a ham!!! Keira being able to use a straw will make my life that much easier when we're out and about!!! Love my funny girl! 

We are loving our summer holidays. We've hit the nurseries, played at different parks, gone to see The Changing of the Guard downtown, been to see Cirque du Soleil with friends, and just finished a week of swimming lessons. Our summer plans have changed slightly. In just two weeks we're off to Cape Cod. We had originally planned a holiday to the UK with my mother. However, she is still experiencing significant difficulties with her foot from the break and surgery she had in November. We've decided long distance plane travel and hobbling about the UK is not a good idea and have opted for a shorter road trip instead. We are all super excited to be heading for the beach! Every time I tell Keira we're going on a road trip with Oma to a place with a pool and close to the beach, she shouts "Yay!" She might not think so after sitting in the car for nine hours! ;-) I've been gathering toddler supplies to keep her entertained while having to stay secure in her car seat. If you have any brilliant suggestions for keeping a two and a half year old busy in a car that DON'T involve a DVD player, please send them my way!!!

I'll post other summer pics shortly. For now, here's my big girl drinking from a straw for the first time today! For those of you who follow me on Instagram, they're duplicates, sorry!

                       

This way works too!
She's a character! Love my funny girl!



No comments: